Are you planning to build a mobile app for multiple platforms?
React Native, Native Scripts, Xamarin, or Flutter, are a few common app development frameworks that come to your mind. Although they offer a high degree of performance, functionality, and better control, it also results in higher expenses. Instead, you can create advanced and fully functional cross-platform apps using affordable solutions like Ionic framework.
Moreover, creating such apps require great resources and higher competency to work with different codes. Therefore, you need to hire dedicated remote developers. Using the ionic framework you can create cross-platform apps with one codebase. In this blog, we will be discussing how the ionic framework works, and what are the pros and cons of using this solution for your app development.
So, let’s begin
What is Ionic?
Here are some features of the Ionic Framework that you should know before you move ahead with your app development:
- Ionic is an open-source framework that developers use for creating hybrid applications
- It uses a combination of frameworks that include AngularJS and Apache Cordova
- The command-line interface facilitates easy testing on any platform
- Ionic Framework allows all major functionalities that come with SDKs of native app development that are later on customized for different operating systems using Cordova
- It can use the same base code to build apps for different platforms majorly iOS and Android
- Ionic comes with a set of pre-developed design elements that contributes to the development of visually appealing apps
- When it comes to accessing phone hardware, no third-party tool is required to access phone hardware
- With Ionic, apps need one-time development that can be later deployed on platforms like Windows, Android, and iOS.
Read Also: React Js vs Ember Js
How does Ionic Framework Work?
When it comes to the working of Ionic Framework, it uses web technologies- Angular, HTML, and CSS for the development of mobile apps. Ionic comes with a wide array of components that focus on the look, feel, and functionality of the app. These components include tabs, menu, buttons, cards, and many more. Moreover, it also offers swift navigation and gestures that include easy rotation, swiping, or pinching events.
The application is built as if it were a simple web app but allows for the development of native apps, where Ionic Framework transforms a single code into a mobile app. Here the native part of the mobile app is implemented through Cordova. Thus, the applications build to provide universal solutions where they have a combination of native as well as web-based apps. This way, the app displays in the web browser as well as natively.
The best part is the apps are to be written once and they can run on varied platforms including iOS, Android, Windows, and as web apps. All these things make it easy to run for developers as well as other individuals.
Here are some popular apps built on Ionic Framework:
- McDonald’s Turkiye
- McLaren Automotive
- StockPlan Connect
So, now after understanding the working of the Ionic Framework, let’s move to the advantages and disadvantages in the next section below.
Read Also: What to choose Kodular vs Flutter to develop a mobile application?
Pros & Cons of Ionic Framework
Pros of Ionic Framework
For Business Owners
- If you are looking for an affordable option, Ionic Framework will help you cut the cost. The reason is the usage of well-known technologies that every developer knows. As a result, you won’t have to hire specific developers for the project and bear their unnecessary expenses.
- Another biggest advantage for business owners is time efficiency. If you are in a super rush and need an app urgently, consider Ionic Framework. Apps build on it are not at all time-consuming due to the usage of simple web technologies.
- You get a wide range of plugins and UI components to enhance the visual appeal and give the app a professional look and feel.
- Ionic Framework helps you in detailed documentation and support.
- In order to create a native app, you don’t need to be a master in every technology for mobile app development when you are working on Ionic Framework.
- When using Ionic Framework for mobile app development, you get huge community support where you can ask for help if you get stuck.
Cons of Ionic Framework
For Business Owners
- You have to ensure the security of the app and ask your developers to keep your app safe while considering both web and native app security solutions.
- If you can’t tolerate delays or can’t compromise on the speed, then there’s bad news for you. Ionic mobile apps tend to be a little slower as compared to native mobile apps. However, the average gap considering the speed is not huge and you won’t even notice it.
- When it comes to apps, it is not only for eCommerce solutions or general apps, if you are planning to develop a video gaming app, then Ionic Framework is not a suitable option.
- When you are using Ionic Framework to develop mobile apps, you may find some security issues in both native as well as web apps. Here you have to be a little cautious and make sure that it doesn’t arise again. Although, being a developer you can easily deal with it as it is not a tedious task for you.
Read Also: Flutter vs React Native: Perspective Dissection
Is it Worth Creating Ionic Apps in 2023?
Ionic Framework aids easy and swift mobile app development using one code base that’s easy for developers and they can manage it well. However, you may encounter some security issues that are not so severe; instead, can be handled with a little caution. So, a cross-platform Ionic app doesn’t create any more issues than other technologies do.
Upon that the cost you save on choosing Ionic mobile apps is huge. You get a fully functional app with all the advanced features that run smoothly on multiple platforms and the web simultaneously. Thus, we can conclusively say that building Ionic apps is worth the effort and investment. It will not cost you more and you can enjoy a visually appealing app in your budget.
Read Also: Benefits of Hiring Dedicated Developers
Why is the Ionic Framework Popular with Developers in 2023?
As we discussed in the above section, Ionic apps are easy to create in less time and are visually appealing with all the advanced features. These are a few reasons that it is popular with business owners. Now the question comes what is it that makes it an attraction for developers?
If you want to build native apps, you have to rewrite the same functionality in different languages like Java and Kotlin for Android and Objective-C and Swift for iOS. If you want to build a cross-platform app, it will require great effort and learning. That’s when Ionic apps come into the picture, where developers can use a single code base that works great for all the platforms.
Ionic Framework is the one suitable for developing cross-platform apps that don’t require much resources and effort on the part of developers. Also, from the perspective of business owners, Ionic apps are great options if you are looking for visually appealing apps in less time with all the functionalities and advanced features.
Conclusively we can say that Ionic Framework is well supported and seems to have great demand ahead. Meanwhile, if you are looking forward to hire dedicated team of developers to help you in building Ionic apps, consider checking Graffersid. Here you will have an accommodating team of developers who have served many clients and helped them grow 5X, win awards, and get funded.
You can contact us here, we would love to hear from you!